RL24, RL28, and RL34 Trailable Yachts
from Rob Legg Yachts

RL Yacht Owner's Discussion Forum

Your Name:
Email Address:
Password: ( Needed to edit or delete this message.)
Message Title:
Text of Message:
Add an Image:
An image can also be attached to this listing. Click "Browse" to select the image file on your PC. It can be a JPEG or a GIF file. The file will be uploaded to the server, scaled to fit, and will appear beside the entry.

Replying to:Victorian Boat Trailer Regulations
Caravan and Trailer Registration Definition of Light Trailer A light trailer is any caravan or trailer that weighs less than 4.5 tonne aggregate trailer mass (ATM). ATM is the weight of the trailer plus the load capacity. Register a light trailer All light trailers over 200 kg ATM and all boat trailers other than exempt trailers must be registered to be used on the road. Eligibility A vehicle can only be registered in a single private name or in the name of an incorporated body. The minimum age at which a person may become the registered operator will vary depending on the type of vehicle: light vehicle or trailer (4.5 tonnes Gross Vehicle Mass or less) - 17 years motorcycle - 17 years and 9 months heavy vehicle or trailer (Over 4.5 tonnes Gross Vehicle Mass) - 18 years Trailer Plate Requirements Trailers manufactured before 1989 must have an identification number stamped into the drawbar. Any identification number format is acceptable. Trailers manufactured after 1989 must have the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) stamped on a sustantial part of the trailer, eg. drawbar and a compliance plate displaying the following: manufacturer's name date of manufacture aggregate trailer mass (in kg) vehicle identification number tyre and rim data (i.e. rim size, tyre size, load rating and recommended tyre pressure) trailer model (if applicable) the statement "This trailer was manufactured to comply with the applicable Australian Design Standards". A roadworthy certificate is not required, but light trailers must be in a roadworthy condition. Top of page Does my trailer need to be inspected? 1. Trailers with 750kg ATM or less Trailers with a ATM of 750kg or less do not need to be inspected. You will need to obtain and complete a Light Trailer Pack before attending an office to register your trailer. A Light Trailer Pack, or information regarding the technical standards for trailers, can be obtained by either: calling VicRoads on 13 11 71 (Mon-Fri 8.30am - 5.00pm, sat 8.30am - 2.00pm) visiting a VicRoads Customer Service Centre (please note you will still need to make an appointment to register your trailer) printing the Light Trailer Pack [PDF 55kb, 6pp] Once you have completed your form, you will need to make an appointment to register your trailer at any VicRoads Customer Service Centre. 2. Trailers greater than 750kg ATM All trailers that weigh over 750kg ATM must be inspected. An appointment is required at all offices for an inspection. Trailers exempt from registration A trailer which is exempt from registration is one which: is not used for business purposes, and is not specifically constructed to carry a boat, and weighs less than 200kg unladen, and is not wider than the towing vehicle, and is less than three metres in length, including the draw-bar and load. Exempt trailers must display the same registration number as the towing vehicle. You can purchase an 'Exempt Trailer Plate' by: calling VicRoads on 13 11 71 (Mon-Fri 8.30am - 5.00pm, Sat 8.30am - 2.00pm). You can pay by credit card (Visa or Mastercard) visiting a VicRoads Customer Service Centre. You can pay by cash, cheque, EFTPOS or credit card. pay the exempt trailer plate fee, refer to number plates fee Exempt trailers may be registered upon request. Note: In many other States, including New South Wales and South Australia, all trailers require registration. If you intend towing your trailer interstate, it is recommended that you register it in Victoria before you travel. Top of page Where do I find information on trailer registration fees? Refer to the following fees for information on: Vehicle appointments and inspection fees Vehicle registration fees Number plate fees, including exempt trailer plate fees What to bring when registering a trailer evidence of ownership (a receipt or contract signed by the previous owner stating full name and address of both the new owner and previous owner and identifying the trailer by the vehicle identification number) original evidence of identity documents weighbridge ticket (if the trailer is over 750kg ATM and the weight is not listed on the compliance plate) completed Light Trailer Pack (if the trailer is 750kg ATM or less). Evidence of Identity On the day you register the vehicle you will need to bring your current Victorian driver licence/permit. if you cannot provide this you will need to bring original evidence of identity documents. You must provide: One primary evidence document (e.g. birth certificate or current passport), and one secondary evidence document (e.g Medicare card, credit/account card, student identity card, bank statement), and evidence of Victorian residence (if not indicated in the primary or secondary documents) One of these documents must have your signature on it.