RL24, RL28, and RL34 Trailable Yachts
from Rob Legg Yachts

RL Yacht Owner's Discussion Forum

Your Name:
Email Address:
Password: ( Needed to edit or delete this message.)
Message Title:
Text of Message:
Add an Image:
An image can also be attached to this listing. Click "Browse" to select the image file on your PC. It can be a JPEG or a GIF file. The file will be uploaded to the server, scaled to fit, and will appear beside the entry.

Replying to:Plenty of RL's at Bay to Bay
Rob would have been proud of us. Of the 180 odd starters (and some were really odd!) 15 RL24's and 1 RL28 started in division 3, 4 24's (Mostly DK's) in division 2 and 2 28's in division 4. As you would expect, there was plenty of RL v's RL rivalry throughout the fleet. In the annual Munjai cup race (Touche v Apache) the youngster was given a sailing lesson by the crew from Noosa. Day one saw a postponed start (no wind) and the fleet motored halfway to Inskip Point before starting at about 1.30. When the breeze kicked in, it was about 5-10 knots from the North East and probably never got above 10 even in the puffs. The first leg was a tight reach to T1 and those who started well, particularly Kanatamata and Kanuk got a good break on the other RL's. Hart Beat caught Kanuk on the run to S18 with Sarnia and Tigress threatening at times. The last leg was a very very very tight spinnaker reach to Garrys, so tight that leading RL, Kanatamata dropped their kite for a while and had to re-set it to keep Hart Beat at bay. Kanuk kept the pressure on the leaders. Wind-wise, day 2 was worse. The start was initially relocated almost to Sheridan Flats. The fleet anchored for a while, had a swim (it was a glorious day for everything except sailing) in the crystal clear water, had a refreshing ale and then motored up to Ungowa for another attempt at a restart. This happened at about 1.30. As it was a heat of the Multihull Nationals, they were off first. When smaller cats and tris have difficulty getting across the start line, things are not good. Breeze was about 5 knots (sometimes) from the North, tide was flowing South at a good 2-3 knots. There was a bit of bias on the line, to the extent that some boats could'nt cross the line on Starboard tack. We crossed the line on Port at the supposed leward end and after a short dig of 50 metres or so, tacked back to get away from the worst of the current. The tide carried us back to the start boat and we had to go back onto Port to avoid hitting it. Ever had one of those days? Kanatamata and Kanuk kept to the Fraser Island side of the channel and it paid off handsomely. They certainly left us for dead. Those who tried to work the shallows on the other side of the course just got in each other's way, and then had to deal with the division 1 and 2 fleets also trying to keep out of the tide. The breeze eventually settled in at up to 10 knots Northish but by the time we got sailing in clear air and water the leaders were long gone. Good for them. I'll post some proper results when they become available. Meanwhile, keep an eye on the Hervey Bay Sailing Club web site. Apart from the sailing, a great weekend was had by all. Cheers Mike